Moving to the United States

Moving to the United States | USA

Basic information the United States

If you are moving to the United States, it might be useful to know the basic information about the country, which can be found below:

  • Official name: The United States of America
  • Population: 320,206,000of per 2015.
  • Capital City: Washington D.C.
  • Government: Federal presidential constitutional republic
    • President: Barack Obama
    • Vice President: Joseph Biden
  • Major language: English
  • Major religion: Christianity
  • Monetary unit: United States Dollars (USD)
  • International dialing code: +1

Are you moving to the United States? Start by checking out the information below, and filling in the form in order to receive the best  removal quotes.


If you are moving to the United States, then it might be useful to know about the education. Education is compulsory until the age of 16, but education is mostly continued until graduation from High School. The schooling system in the USA can be generally dived into three levels:

  • Elementary School – kindergarden to grade 5
  • Middle School – grades 6 to 8
  • High School – grades 9 to 12
  • College
  • University

However, there are considerable variations depending on the state specific regulations. The USA presents several types of school to choose from, ranging from public to private and homeschooling.

There are many different types of schools in the United States like:

  • Public schools
  • Private schools
  • Magnet Schools
  • Charter schools
  • International schools
  • Homeschooling


The unemployment rate in the United States was 5.5% in January, and has been decreasing since 2014. The labor market in the United States is highly competitive. If you want to work in the United States, you will need to apply for a work permit. Moreover, you need to apply for an employment authorization. It might be very difficult to find a job in the United States, if you are searching from your home country. It is only possible to apply for a work permit through your employer. Your employer must fill in forms that he/she wants to hire you. The procedure for applying for a work permit might take up to 6 months.

If you are moving to the United States and want more information about work permits, click on the website below:


Bank Accounts

The 5 biggest banks in the United States are: JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup, Wells Farg and The bank of New York Mellon

If you are moving to the United States, then it is possible to open a bank account online or in person at the bank that you have chosen. The following will be required:

  • Photo ID or passport
  • Social Security card
  • Prove of residence

Keep in mind that you might need to pay a minimum required deposit top open a bank account. Moreover, there is also a possibility that you need to pay a monthly fee for your bank account.

Moving to the United States | USA


There are many types of visa that you can apply for if you are moving to the United States, you can apply for the following visa:

  • Tourism and visit
  • Business
  • Employment
  • Study and exchange
  • Immigrate
    • Family
    • Intercountry Adoptions
    • Employment
    • Diversity visa

Keep in mind that the procedures for applying for a visa might take a long time (can take up to 6 months). Mandatory documents that are needed to apply for a visa are:

  • Current passport (old passports as well)
  • Photograph
  • Confirmation page of online submitted form
  • Visa fee receipt
  • Original interview appointment letter


If you are moving to the United States and want more information about visas, click on the website below:

Cost of living

The cost of living in the United States is in San Jose, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C. the highest compared to the rest of the United States. The gas prices are in the United States cheaper compared to the countries in Europe. Depending on your location, housing might be the highest expense per month. Many young expats choose to rent rooms in a shared apartment which might be cheaper than renting a whole apartment. This is a great way to get to know more people and socialize. Food and drinks are relatively cheap in the United States, and you can find many fast food restaurants in every city.


Medical Care

The health care system in the United States is still the most expensive health care system compared to the rest of the world. On average, residents spend much more on health care. If you are moving because of work, then it is possible to discuss this with your employer. It is not mandatory to have a health insurance in the United States, and many residents are therefore uninsured because they cannot afford it. However, when something happens and you need medical care, but are uninsured, the costs can be very high. If you are not able to pay the costs, the hospital can deny you medical care. Since Obamacare has been applied, health care has been more accessible to the people who cannot afford it.

For expats, you have access to medical care and health insurance as long as you can pay for the costs.


Driving license

Depending on the state, you can drive from the age of 15-16 years old in the United States. If you are moving to the United States, keep in mind that there different permits and licenses:

  • Learner’s permit
  • Restricted license
  • Full (unrestricted) license
  • Validity of full (unrestricted ) license

These permits and licenses all have different requirements depending on the state that you drive. You will need to pass a theoretical examination and a practical examination if you want to obtain an American one. If you want to apply for a driving license from the United States, the following will be required:

  • Proof of Social Security Number
  • Passport or other documents that serve as valid proof of identity
  • Proof of residence in that state (some states require 2 different documents as proof)
  • Proof of lawful presence in the US
  • Passport photo (in some cases this will be taken during the application process)



The tax system in The United States consists of the following: income tax, sales tax, property tax, estate tax, hotel tax and sin tax (for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes). Keep in mind that when dining in a restaurant, 15% to 20% from the bill comes extra as service costs.

Moving to the USA | United States

Why Moovmii?

Instead of spending time searching for movers, Moovmii will send your request directly to the international relocation companies. You will just have to wait, and get contacted by them, either by phone or by email. And by doing that you can save money, since international removal companies will compete for your move! You will be able to choose the right mover for you, depending on its services, and its price. Is this not enough to convince you to use Moovmii and its network of removal companies when moving to the United States? Here are some other reasons that will surely convince you:

  • Our service is free!
  • You get up to 5 removal quotes, giving you the possibility to choose;
  • International moving companies have years of experience, and have done furniture transports just like yours innumerable times;
  • Movers can disassemble and assemble your furniture, pack your belongings, and do all the heavy lifting;
  • Moving companies are specialized in transporting furniture and hefty items around, so they can guarantee you the best protection for your things, whether you are opting for a shipping by land, by air, or by sea;
  • Other services provided are insurance and help in the handling of documents

With Moovmii your international move to the United States starts in the right way: You will get up to 5 quotes, and be contacted by the best movers around. All without having to spend time, and money. Thanks to Moovmii and its network of international moving companies you can be assured that your international transport will start, and end, with a smile. Moving to the United States could not be any easier!