Moving to Canada
Basic information Canada
If you are moving to Canada, it might be useful to know the basic information about the country, which can be found below:
- Canada is the 2nd largest country by area in the world
- Population: 35,675,834 of per 2014
- Capital City: Ottowa
- Government: Federal parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Major language: English and French
- Major religion: Catholics
- Monetary unit: Canadian Dollars
- International dialing code: +1
Are you moving to Canada? Start by checking out the information below, and filling in the form in order to receive the best removal quotes.
The public education system in Canada is funded by the government. And elementary and secondary school is compulsory for children until the age of 16. However in Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick, it is compulsory till the age of 18 years. Moreover, 95% of the Canadians choose public school education for their children as the ranking of the Canadian public schools are very high.
The Canadian education system exists out of the following:
- Primary school
- Secondary school
- Post-secondary institutions (universities and colleges)
If you are moving to Canada for your study, then the costs for studying in Canada at a university are compared to Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States and New Zealand cheaper as Canadian universities are perceived as one of the best universities in the world.
If you are moving to Canada and want more information about the education, click on the website below:
The unemployment rate in Canada was in January 2015, 6.6%. There is a possibility that you will not need a work permit, but this depends on your profession. However, if you need one, then it is possible that your employer will pay for your work permit. Therefore if you are moving because of work, then it is advisable that you discuss this with your employer first. It is advisable to apply for a job from your home country before you go to Canada, however it is more difficult than when you are in Canada.
There are 2 options to apply: you can either apply online or apply on paper at a visa center. In most cases, you will need to have a written job offer and proof of evidence that you meet the requirements of the job from your employer before you can apply for one.
If you are moving to Canada and need more information about work permits, click on the link below:
Top 5 of the biggest banks in Canada are:
- The royal bank of Canada
- Toronto Dominion Bank
- Bank of Montreal
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Keep in mind that the most banks ask for your social insurance number. However if you are moving to Canada, it is also possible for expats to open up a bank account. Therefore it is important to discuss the options with an employee of your chosen bank. To open up a bank account in Canada, the following documents are needed:
- Passport, permanent ID card or work permit
- Driving license
- Canadian insurance number (SIN)
- Employee photo identity card
- Introduction letter including signature from previous bank
If you are immigrating or moving to Canada, you will need to fill in online a list of questions on the government website, to determine your eligibility, to know which immigration program you will need. You can apply for the following:
- Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)
- Quebec-selected skilled workers
- Start-up visa
- Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program (for people with high net-worth who can invest in the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital fund)
- Self-employed Persons Program
- Family sponsorship
- Provincial nominees
There are a few types of visas if you want to visit Canada, you can find on the government website of Canada, which type if visa you need. The following documents are required if you want to apply for a visa:
- Have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
- Be in good health,
- Proof of a job, home, financial assets
- Have enough money for your stay
If you are moving to Canada and need more information about visas, click on the website below:
Cost of living
The cost of living in Canada is compared to the rest of the world relatively less expensive. However, the cities like Vancouver, Ottowa, Toronto, and Montreal, the cost of living is slightly more expensive. If you are moving to Canada, your main costs will be namely housing and utility. Transportation in Canada is considered relatively cheap and on average in the cities. Alcohol and cigarettes are very expensive in Canada, because they are heavily taxed.
Canadian and permanent residents can apply for public health insurance in Canada. The health care system in Canada is being funded by the tax payers and government. Keep in mind that each province or state has its own health insurance plan. In case of an emergency, you will get free emergency medical services. If you already have a job in Canada, discuss with your employer about an extra health care insurance, they might provide this for you. If you are moving to Canada, in all cases you need to show your health insurance card each time you get medical service.
If you have a driving license in Canada you can use this throughout the whole country and provinces. Depending on the provinces, the general age to drive in Canada is 16 years old. If you are moving to Canada and you want to apply for one, you will need to pass a theoretical exam and practice exam. However the examination might vary between the provinces. If you want to drive in a car in Canada, you must have car insurance, in case you drive in a friend’s car, your friend must be insured.
In Canada, the tax system is as followed: the government collects money through taxes from the residents and companies to help government programs and services, health care, education and so on. Like every other country, the more you earn the more tax you need to pay.
Instead of spending time searching for movers, Moovmii will send your request directly to the international removal companies. You will just have to wait, and get contacted by them, either by phone or by email. And by doing that you can save money, since moving companies will compete for your move! You will be able to choose the right mover for you, depending on its services, and its price. Is this not enough to convince you to use Moovmii and its network of international removal companies when moving to Canada? Here are some other reasons that will surely convince you:
- Our service is free!
- You get up to 5 quotes, giving you the possibility to choose;
- International removal companies have years of experience, and have done furniture transports just like yours innumerable times;
- Movers can disassemble and assemble your furniture, pack your belongings, and do all the heavy lifting;
- Moving companies are specialized in transporting furniture and hefty items around, so they can guarantee you the best protection for your things, whether you are opting for a shipping by land, by air, or by sea;
- Other services provided are insurance and help in the handling of documents
With Moovmii your international move to Canada starts in the right way: You will get up to 5 quotes, and be contacted by the best movers around. All without having to spend time, and money. Thanks to Moovmii and its network of international removal companies you can be assured that your international transport will start, and end, with a smile. Moving to Canada could not be any easier!