Moving to Australia


Basic information Australia

Below you can find the basic information for Australia:

  • Population: 23,754,300 of per 2015
  • Capital City: Sydney
  • Government: Federal parliamentary constitutional monarchy
    • Prime minister: Tony Abbott
  • Main language: English
  • Major religion: Christianity
  • Monetary unit: Australian dollars.
  • International dialing code: +61

Are you moving to Australia? Start by checking out the information below, and filling in the form in order to receive the best  removal quotes.


When moving to another country with your family it is always important to know how the education system works before you move. The education system in Australia does not have many variations except in smaller states. The education (primary and secondary) is compulsory for the children from the age of five to six till sixteen and is 13 years in total which can be divided into:

  • Primary school – duration is for 7 or 8 years, starting at Kindergarten/Preparatory through to Year 6 or 7.
  • Secondary school – duration is for 3 or 4years, from Years 7 to 10 or 8 to 10.
  • Senior secondary school – duration is 2 years, Years 11 and 12.

There are many different schools available for your children and you will need to see which school suits your child the best. Prices can be from 6000 AUD to 10000 AUD or for more expensive schools (private schools) the costs can go up to 20.000 AUD.

For more information, click on the link below:


As per January 2015, the unemployment rate of Australia was 6.4%. Australia is a great place to live and work, and offers a great lifestyle and employment opportunities. If you want to work in Australia, but are not a permanent inhibitor, you must have a valid Australian visa with work rights. We have picked out the most important points on the website of the government of Australia for you to remember:

  1. Australian workplace laws provide basic protection and entitlements for all workers in Australia, including workers from overseas.
  2. Every worker from overseas must have a valid Australian visa with work rights. Temporary visas with work rights include working holiday maker visas, student visas and the subclass 457 visa. You can check your own work and visa entitlements at
  3. You do not need to use a Migration Agent to make a visa application. If you do decide to use a Migration Agent, you should make sure the agent is registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

If you move to Australia with your family because of work related, it would be advisable to discuss with your employer, how it will be arranged for your family.

For more information, click on the link below:



Bank Accounts

Some banks in Australia like Westpac allow you to open up a bank account before you immigrate. Therefore it is advisable that you take this chance before you move to Australia. However you need to keep in mind that many banks require you to pay a service fee, deposit rates and so on. Therefore it is important to make a comparison of the banks that you want to apply a bank account for. Another option is that if you move to Australia because it is work related, that you discuss this with your employer. The four biggest banks in Australia are:

  • ANZ
  • Commonwealth Bank of Australia
  • National Australian Bank (NAB)
  • Westpac



Foreigners will need to have a visa before they enter Australia. Just like every country, Australia has many different visas namely:

  • Visitor visas
  • Working holiday visas
  • Gap year/ Exchange visas
  • Medical treatment visas
  • Investor/Retirement visas
  • Air and sea crew visas
  • Transit visas
  • Repealed or closed visas
  • Bridging visas

Depending on the trip that you are making to Australia will also depend on which visa you will need. Each visa has its own requirements and can differ from price to price.


For more information about visas or applying for a visa for Australia, please click on the website below:

Cost of living

The cost of living in Australia will depend on how strong your current home country currency is. If your home country currency is relatively low, then the cost of living in Australia will be more expensive and vice versa. For the housing in Australia, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide are certainly more expensive than other cities because there is a high demand and a low supply.

Medical Care

The medical care in Australia can be provided by a public health care (which is funded by the government and tax payers) and private health care companies. The health care system can be divided into the following sections:

Australia’s system of universal medical cover, named Medicare, is one of the best health cares in Australia. The public health care cover most of the expenses, however there are still some other expenses that you will need to pay for yourself. Concerning hospitals, you have private hospitals and public hospitals.

It is possible to discuss this with your employer before you move to Australia.

Driving license

The minimum driving age is 18 years or older in Victoria, in other states in Australia it can be 16. Therefore you need to check the regulations of driving in the state that you are going.

If you already own a driving license than you need to keep in mind that regulations differ per state in Australia. If you are staying less than 3 months (varies per state), then you can use your driving license, however you will need to carry an acceptable English translation of your driving license if it is not in English.


The income tax system of Australia can be divided into 3 levels of income namely: personal earnings, business income and capital gains, these three sources of income tax account for 67% of federal government revenue and 55% of total revenue across the three tiers of government. As said in the medical care, tax payers also fund the public health care. As most of the countries, the more you earn the more tax you will need to pay.




Why Moovmii?

Instead of spending time searching for movers, Moovmii will send your request directly to the moving companies. You will just have to wait, and get contacted by them, either by phone or by email. And by doing that you can save money, since moving companies will compete for your move! You will be able to choose the right mover for you, depending on its services, and its price. Is this not enough to convince you to use Moovmii and its network of removal companies when moving to Australia? Here are some other reasons that will surely convince you:

  • Our service is free!
  • You get up to 5 quotes, giving you the possibility to choose;
  • International moving companies have years of experience, and have done furniture transports just like yours innumerable times;
  • Movers can disassemble and assemble your furniture, pack your belongings, and do all the heavy lifting;
  • Moving companies are specialized in transporting furniture and hefty items around, so they can guarantee you the best protection for your things, whether you are opting for a shipping by land, by air, or by sea;
  • Other services provided are insurance and help in the handling of documents

With Moovmii your international move to Australia starts in the right way: You will get up to 5 quotes, and be contacted by the best movers around. All without having to spend time, and money. Thanks to Moovmii and its network of international moving companies you can be assured that your international transport will start, and end, with a smile.